Q: What are the steps required to configure J!MailAlerts correctly?
Answer: Follow these steps:
1. Install LATEST STABLE version of JMailAlerts core component.
2. Install and enable all the plugins you want to use.
3. Configure all the parameters(PLUGIN parameters and LEGACY parameters) for EACH installed plugin of type "emailalerts".
4. Now, goto Jmailalerts component. Click on "Alert Types -> New"
5. Configure the settings for alert type.
6. Add required TAGS for all installed and enabled plugins of type "emailalerts" in the email template (for each alert type).
7. Set "Allow user to configure alert:" to YES
8. Set "Respect last email date" to "No" in each alert type (for testing purpose).
9. Save the alert type.
10. Now, go to "Sync" tab.
Select the alert types and perform a sync operation once (This will make all existing users subscribe to the email alerts)
11. Also select the alert types and click on "Save" (This will make newly registered users auto subscribe to selected mailalerts-alertypes)
12. Then add new content.
13. Now, goto "Simulation" tab
Select "alert type" , enter user id userid other than creator of content from step 12.
14. If your simulation is showing an output, set up a cron-job for sending emails to subscribed users automatically.