In the past few weeks we have made incremental upgrades to com_api, our REST API extension for Joomla. For those who are not aware, com_api is a quick and easy way to add REST APIs to Joomla. Extensible via plugins, you can easily add support for more Joomla extensions. This blog details the changes & improvements done from from 2.0 to 2.2.
The key change is support for SEF URLs, which will enable you to create better URLs for your API endpoints, like /api/articles/article/34. Till now, the API endpoints could only be accessed by Joomla non-sef URLs, making the URLs look clunky.
Few other changes include support for the Authorization header, and being able to override the response envelope for the resources. Also a few bug fixes around viewing logs and a performance improvement for sites that had a lot of API consumers.
We have revamped our documentation to make it easy for developers to write their own API plugins. You can find it here : http://techjoomla.github.io/com_api/
Version 2.0 and onward introduces a backward compatibility break in the default output structure of the response. AppCarvers customers please check the blog on appcarvers.com before you upgrade.
To know about the full changelog, read on.
- FEAT : Ability to use the Authorization header to send the token using the Bearer scheme
- FIX : Output override path
- FIX : Full URL wasn't saving in logs
- IMP : Changed default log ordering to latest first
- SEF URLs for API endpoints
- Performance improvements for sites having a lot of API consumers
- Support for overriding the JSON or XML output
- Support for Accept header to decide the output type
- Add a X-Compatibility-Mode header to force output in the older format
- Fixes issues with XML output
- APIs supporting JSON input can now see request logs
- Logs are added for failed requests as well